View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
WhyYou
Lead Moderator (deceased)

I've never travelled overseas in my lifetime. But within the North American continent I have travelled around a lot. Haven't thought much about favorite places but here are a few:

1. Prince Edward Island, Canada
2. The Thousand Islands, Canada
3. The Outer Banks of North Carolina
4. The Finger Lakes area in Canada
5. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
6. Niagra Falls, Canada

The first 4 were when I was young and my whole family would take camping trips during the summer. The Outer Banks was very memorable because we pitched the tent right on the beach and during the night there was a nasty thunderstorm. We had used short stakes to hold the tent up and when the torrential rain came down it loosened the stakes and the tent started to fall down on top of us. I woke up soaked to the bone wondering what was going on. We had to manually hold the tent poles up until the rain stopped and my father could go out and put in longer stakes. We ended up sleeping in the van the rest of that night because the tent floor was too wet.

The Finger Lakes area was were we went on a several day long canoe trip doing real backwoods camping along the way. We only did one real portage (carrying everything, including the canoes, over a bit of land between 2 finger lakes. My father and I were having a really great time but my 3 sisters did a lot of complaining. However, everybody really did enjoy it due to the wildlife and the gorgeous scenery.

Myrtle Beach was when I was living in South Carolina. I went there several times with a couple of buddies from the plant where I worked. One of the guys owned a travel trailer so we got together with one other guy and went girl hunting...lol. The last time we went, we were on the way back home when the car that one of my buddies was driving (not pulling the trailer, my other buddy used his truck for that) had the engine blow up. We sat for a long time on the side of the road until the guy pulling the trailer could catch up with us and give us a ride in the pickup.

I went to Niagra Falls twice. The first time was with my family when I was young. The second time was when I was living in Pensylvania, about 35 or so years later. So I saw some of the changes in the falls configuration over the years. It was still beautiful but the formation had changed because of all that water eroding away the rocks.