View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #23
Enigma
Danielle's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoree View Post
1. As long as I'm here that always was the case.
2. That's now active.
3. This is also active.
4. That's something that would affect real users that we want to be here, too, so that's not an option.
5. This one would make posting more difficult for everybody, so that's not a real option either.

As you said, we never can stop all the spammers, the key is to make it as difficult for the spammers as possible while still having the forum user friendly.

We'll probably have a lot spammer accounts waiting to be activated to spam, but new ones should be mostly stopped. The amount of spams here should considerably go down now, even if it takes some time.
I can't remember the sign up for the site, it's been a long time from when i first signed up, and you are right the last 2 points I made would not make the board user friendly.

I post count limit on new members may be an idea, lets say 10 posts before you can post a link on the board.

But if you do that then there is the chance they will make 10 posts saying somthing silly like "interesting" in every posts, thus adding to the spam.

Or you could mod every post from new member lets say 5 post, this means that every new member that signs up and makes a post to the forum, they have to have it checked out by the mods and admins on the site.

if you use the Mod the first 5 posts, and also restrict the PM so that a user has to make 10 posts, this will slow the spam down a lot.

Not only will they have there first 5 posts checked before there got on the forum, they will then have to make 5 more posts before they can send a PM, this means that they can't send PMs if they can't post to the forum.

you can find a lot of Mods to help with spam on this site:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198

So have a look and see wat you can come up with
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote