View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
geolarson2
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Default Belle du Jour Revealed

If you followed Ms du Jour's blog, or caught the dramatization of her experiences as a call girl on Showtime (played so ably by Ms Billie Paul Piper), we now know who she is: Dr. Brooke Magnanti

Per The Telegraph (http://bit.ly/AlT7z):
Belle de Jour's mother proud of 'brilliant' daughter Brooke Magnanti
Susan Levy, the mother of Brooke Magnanti, the research scientist unmasked as the former call girl Belle de Jour, said she was proud of her "brilliant" daughter for "standing up for herself".
By Tom Leonard in New York
Published: 6:30AM GMT 18 Nov 2009

Wearing nursing scrubs and puffing on a cigarette outside her modest farmhouse home near Syracuse in New York state, Miss Levy, 64, admitted she had been a "little shocked" to learn that her only child had supplemented her academic earnings as a prostitute.

"I know that my daughter has a very good head on her shoulders and I support her 100 per cent in what she has done and what ever she will do," she said. "I can't give her any more than that."

Pointedly preferring to talk about her daughter's writing acumen rather than her actual subject matter, Miss Levy said she was now looking forward to getting an autographed copy her best-selling book about her career as a high class call girl.

Miss Magnanti, 34, revealed at the weekend that she was the former prostitute who wrote a best-selling diary, later turned into a television series.

Educated at a Catholic school in Florida, she moved to Britain to study for a doctorate at Sheffield University. She said she turned to prostitution after moving to London and finding she could not afford the rent.

The American-born scientist, who works for Bristol University, said she had rung her mother to break the news but had left her estranged father to read about it in the newspapers.

Miss Levy said that her daughter had phoned her last week to break the news.

She said: "I knew that her ex-boyfriend Owen was apparently going to out her, and she wanted to do some damage control.

Miss Levy said she always knew her daughter was a "fantastic writer", adding: "She has been writing stories since she was a kid, so that part did not surprise me."

Referring to the prostitution, she said she was a "bit surprised" more than shocked.

Her daughter's critics should be "ashamed", she said. "The subject matter is her subject matter and it is what she has done in her life."

There's also a very good article/interview by India Knight with Dr. Magnanti at The Times: http://tinyurl.com/yzpotbx

Last edited by geolarson2; 11-18-2009 at 09:56 PM.
geolarson2 is offline   Reply With Quote