FTV Girls Danielle Forum  

Go Back   FTV Girls Danielle Forum > General Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Enigma
Danielle's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoree View Post
I think that would only delay the spam posts. We see some banned users continuously trying to post to the forum for months now.

We're working on a solution to keep them out of the forum. I don't want to get into details of that openly, though.
trust me, there are a lot of things that can be done on this forum to help stop the spam, and none of it is being done.

and every thing you can think of there is a way to get round it, so talking about it on the forum wont really stop them.

1. To post on this site you have to register.
2. Activated email verification
3. Activate Image Verification
4. Banned 'free' email domains many spammers use
5. To post they have to type in the image verification image.

And there are mant more things that canbe done , as this forum is very easy to spam, this forum will be on a list of easy forums, the spammers will first come to the place that they can spam the fastest, this makes sence as they get paied per click, the mre time it takes them to spam, the less they will want to come here and do it.

Then there are the spam bots, that no matter what you do they will still spam,

The idea is not to stop them all as this will never happen, but the idea is to slow them down, make it as hard for them to spam as possible, while still being user friendly.

This can be done by adding extra security to the forum, and the harder you make it, you'll then come of the "List" as an easy spam target, thus getting less spam coming in.

Last edited by Enigma; 01-14-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Dan4life
Dreaming of Danielle

Default members

So will we as members will be offered special member promotions. What are our ensentives or bentfits as members for the new year in 2011. What kind of new changes will be expected this year.
Dan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Curt
Danielle's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4life View Post
So will we as members will be offered special member promotions. What are our ensentives or bentfits as members for the new year in 2011. What kind of new changes will be expected this year.
Hi Dan4life,

You may have better luck getting an answer to your questions if you post them in the forum for the site you're interested in. This thread is a discussion of the increase in spam since the beginning of the year.

Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Anoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2 View Post
1. To post on this site you have to register.
2. Activated email verification
3. Activate Image Verification
4. Banned 'free' email domains many spammers use
5. To post they have to type in the image verification image.
1. As long as I'm here that always was the case.
2. That's now active.
3. This is also active.
4. That's something that would affect real users that we want to be here, too, so that's not an option.
5. This one would make posting more difficult for everybody, so that's not a real option either.

As you said, we never can stop all the spammers, the key is to make it as difficult for the spammers as possible while still having the forum user friendly.

We'll probably have a lot spammer accounts waiting to be activated to spam, but new ones should be mostly stopped. The amount of spams here should considerably go down now, even if it takes some time.
Anoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Enigma
Danielle's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoree View Post
1. As long as I'm here that always was the case.
2. That's now active.
3. This is also active.
4. That's something that would affect real users that we want to be here, too, so that's not an option.
5. This one would make posting more difficult for everybody, so that's not a real option either.

As you said, we never can stop all the spammers, the key is to make it as difficult for the spammers as possible while still having the forum user friendly.

We'll probably have a lot spammer accounts waiting to be activated to spam, but new ones should be mostly stopped. The amount of spams here should considerably go down now, even if it takes some time.
I can't remember the sign up for the site, it's been a long time from when i first signed up, and you are right the last 2 points I made would not make the board user friendly.

I post count limit on new members may be an idea, lets say 10 posts before you can post a link on the board.

But if you do that then there is the chance they will make 10 posts saying somthing silly like "interesting" in every posts, thus adding to the spam.

Or you could mod every post from new member lets say 5 post, this means that every new member that signs up and makes a post to the forum, they have to have it checked out by the mods and admins on the site.

if you use the Mod the first 5 posts, and also restrict the PM so that a user has to make 10 posts, this will slow the spam down a lot.

Not only will they have there first 5 posts checked before there got on the forum, they will then have to make 5 more posts before they can send a PM, this means that they can't send PMs if they can't post to the forum.

you can find a lot of Mods to help with spam on this site:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198

So have a look and see wat you can come up with
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Geezer
Danielle's Imaginary Boyfriend

Lots of posts on spam but I'm wondering about viruses, malware, and the many more nefarious things sites pick up and toss at us. Has anyone gotten a virus or anything similar from this forum, FTV, or Danielle's pay site?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
WhyYou
Lead Moderator (deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2 View Post
I can't remember the sign up for the site, it's been a long time from when i first signed up, and you are right the last 2 points I made would not make the board user friendly.

I post count limit on new members may be an idea, lets say 10 posts before you can post a link on the board.

But if you do that then there is the chance they will make 10 posts saying somthing silly like "interesting" in every posts, thus adding to the spam.

Or you could mod every post from new member lets say 5 post, this means that every new member that signs up and makes a post to the forum, they have to have it checked out by the mods and admins on the site.

if you use the Mod the first 5 posts, and also restrict the PM so that a user has to make 10 posts, this will slow the spam down a lot.

Not only will they have there first 5 posts checked before there got on the forum, they will then have to make 5 more posts before they can send a PM, this means that they can't send PMs if they can't post to the forum.

you can find a lot of Mods to help with spam on this site:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198

So have a look and see wat you can come up with
I have asked and post moderation is not going to be activated on this message board. It is too restricting for the good people and makes them feel that we Moderators are "better" than them.

I do go through the vBulletin Options periodically and when I find something that looks like it would be good for us I ask for permission to activate it. Some things get approved and some things don't. But we will continue the spam war and we will always win.